Includes new and improved sections, projects, and lab activities that address current scientific methods and developments in the biotechnology industry!
Features updated statistics, figures, and photos
The revised edition of Biotechnology: Science for the New Millennium is the perfect textbook and lab manual combination program for your classroom! Designed for introductory courses, this complete program teaches the concepts and hands-on lab procedures required for entry-level careers in the rapidly growing biotechnology industry. The textbook and lab manual can be used together or separately, depending on the desired course format.
What You'll Find Inside:
- Thorough coverage of the concepts and processes of biotechnology research and manufacturing in the areas of pharmaceuticals, agriculture, industrial products, and instrumentation.
- Extensive discussion of genomics, bioinformatics, microarrays, and proteomics.
- Exciting information on biotechnological advances in drug discovery, gene therapy, plant-based pharmaceuticals, forensics, and horticulture.
- Thought-provoking sidebars on bioethics, current events, regulations, emergent trends, recent advances, and research techniques.
- Substantial presentation of the business side of biotechnology, including opportunities and careers in academic, industrial, and regulatory biotechnology.
- Teaches the tools and techniques of working independently or as a team member in a biotechnology facility.
- Provides comprehensive treatment of volume and mass measurements, solution and media preparation, cell culture, DNA isolation and analysis, protein isolation and analysis, assay development, recombinant DNA and transformations, scale-up, protein purification, quality control, DNA synthesis, PCR, and DNA sequencing .
- Focuses on the process, methods, and applications of biotechnology, including the math, biology, and chemistry needed to develop proficiency in designing experiments and in collecting, analyzing, interpreting, and applying the resulting data.
- Emphasizes the scientific method and laboratory safety procedures, including the responsibilities of recognizing and understanding hazardous materials, complex equipment, and the specific conditions of a facility in an effort to reduce the safety risks to zero.
- Emphasizes on-the-job thinking and problem solving through scenario activities that require students to summarize the results of experiments and trouble-shoot errors that may have led to variations in results or fallacious data.
Ellyn Daugherty, founder of the San Mateo Biotechnology Career Pathway (SMBCP) and recipient of The Biotechnology Institute's first National Biotechnology Teacher-Leader Award, has been teaching from the Biotechnology: Science for the New Millennium in her SMBCP courses for ten years. Teachers throughout the country have used her model program to launch Biotechnology programs in their schools.